Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pancake Day!!!

Pancake Day! I had a lot of fun making pancakes with the Christian Union and then again that night with my housemates. Pancake day is a celebrated holiday in England the day before Lent. It was originally intended to help get rid of all the eggs and fats in the house so they wouldn't go to waste during Lent. When I sent my sister Kimberly a photo of the pancakes she said they looked like crepes and not pancakes. I didn't know what crepes were at the time, but by the end of my stay in England I had enjoyed many crepes. However, their pancakes are different from crepes even though they look quiet similar. They are not made out of the same ingredients and taste differently. It was however a drastic change from American pancakes, which are much thicker (uses different flour). I also got quite a laugh out of traveling and seeing the term American on the menu, such as "American pancakes" or "American Pizza". Whereas in America we use other countries to describe food that isn't typical American food. I also found out that it is quite common in British culture to put more than syrup, butter, blueberries, or chocolate on your pancakes. 


The lay out of items to decorate your pancakes.


Everyone's is different


This was mine and it was super yummy!


Tripp and I enjoying our first English pancake.

These are some of my housemates making pancakes. You can go to the store and buy these bottles with all the ingredients in it except water. You just add water and shake, then cook. It was fun and I ended up going to the store before I headed back to America so I could buy a few of these bottles to share with my family because I enjoyed them so much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment